Saturday

Ganoderma Lucidum Causes Apoptosis in Leukemia

I sent an email to my oncologist on Nov 11 regarding my curiosity regarding a research paper a friend of mine showed me. But, he never responded. Finally, I tried to talk to him about it in person, but he just waved it away and didn't say anything. I guess he doesn't like to discuss things like that.

I realize that this research is only on the cancer cells, and not on people. But, I think it is fascinating. And I hope there will be follow up for those who might want to take it. Anyhow, this is it:

Ganoderma Lucidum causes apoptosis in leukemia, lymphoma and multiple myeloma cells.

(What is Apoptosis?)


Abstract
Over many centuries, herbal remedies have treated a variety of ailments. This empiric observational approach has produced a number of leads for formulated medicines.

Ganoderma lucidum extract was screened for its anti-proliferative activity using a panel of 26 human cancer cell lines.

The six most sensitive hematologic cell lines were:
HL-60 (ED50 26 microg/ml),
U937 (63 microg/ml),
K562 (50 microg/ml),
Blin-1 (38 microg/ml), 
Nalm-6 (30 microg/ml) 
and RPMI8226 (40 microg/ml).

Cell cycle analyses revealed a G2/M arrest, most prominently in HL-60 cells.

Four hematopoietic cell lines (HL-60,  Blin-1,  U937,  RPMI8226) were examined for apoptosis, which ranged between 21 and 92%.

After exposure to Ganoderma lucidum extract, HL-60 cells became multinucleated with an increased DNA content.

These results indicate that Ganoderma lucidum extract has a profound activity against leukemia, lymphoma and multiple myeloma cells and may be a novel adjunctive therapy for the treatment of hematologic malignancies.

Source:

Leukemia Research Journal
2006 Jul;30(7):841-8.
Epub 2006 Jan 19.

Ganoderma lucidum causes apoptosis in leukemia, lymphoma and multiple myeloma cells.

Authors:
Müller CI, Kumagai T, O'Kelly J, Seeram NP, Heber D, Koeffler HP.

Comment in
Ganoderma lucidum in cancer research. [Leuk Res. 2006]
PMID: 16423392 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

If you would like to read a full PDF article, it's HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I will approve and respond as soon as possible. Thank you for posting them.

I'm sorry that Anonymous comments are no longer accepted. I've gotten too many spammers that way. If you would like to comment directly my profile provides a way to do that.