Saturday

Leukemia and Chondrosarcoma

First I'd like to clarify something right off the bat. There is NO KNOWN CONNECTION between Chondrosarcoma and Leukemia. It is just a coincidence of... what shall we call it? Fate, I guess, that I happen to now have Leukemia some forty plus years after first being diagnosed with the cartilage/bone cancer called Chondrosarcoma. So anybody reading this, get that idea out of your head. 


If by any chance you know of someone who has had another kind of cancer and then got Leukemia, it is usually because their previous cancer was treated with strong chemotherapy drugs or radiation. Those are suspected to be one of the "causes" of Leukemia. There are other factors why someone might get Leukemia, being exposed to certain carcinogenic toxic substances. Considering my long term exposure to the infamous Love Canal when I was a child, it is no surprise to me that I have this diagnosis. The picture of the x-ray is of my pelvis. The two places where the legs fit into the hips are not connected anymore. On the right side of the picture you will see part of the pelvic bones that are supposed to be present. Those are called the ischium and the pubic ramus. The ischium is the "sitting" bone. If you look at the left side of the picture, you will see that the pubic ramus and ischium are missing. I believe that officially makes me one of those "half-assed" persons you are always hearing about. Eh?

The reason that portion of bone is missing is because chondrosarcoma tumor was attached and growing there. The only treatment for chondrosarcoma is surgery. A long time ago the only surgical treatment available would have been total amputation of that half of the pelvis and including the leg. That's called a hemipelvectomy. But, my doctor had some advanced training and saved my leg. 

NOTE: As of May 26 2014 I have learned something new... it looks sort of like there is a connection somehow between leukemia and chondrosarcoma on a genetic level. I don't mean on the genes you inherit, but genes within chondrosarcoma tumor. I do not understand the science well enough yet, to explain it. But am consulting with the researchers who published about it so that I can learn... if they will correspond with me about it.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5/17/2013

    Well good luck & keep that positive attitude. I too am a survivor of chondrosaroma. I wasn't quite 21 when i was sent to mayo clinic rochester Minnesota where they performed an experiment on my leg. So far all has been well, its been 19yrs tho i havnt been to have checked due to lack of insurance. I love your outlook its the same that i have. Best of luck....you are a survivor

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I will approve and respond as soon as possible. Thank you for posting them.

I'm sorry that Anonymous comments are no longer accepted. I've gotten too many spammers that way. If you would like to comment directly my profile provides a way to do that.