Friday

They Call Them Risks

Factors that may increase the risk of developing some types of leukemia include:
(from Mayo Clinic site)


Previous cancer treatment. People who've had certain types of chemotherapy and radiation therapy for other cancers have an increased risk of developing certain types of leukemia.

My question is: What are the certain types? Name them! Is Azathiaprine one of them? I took that for a short while to treat a non-cancerous condition I have.

People exposed to very high levels of radiation, such as survivors of a nuclear reactor accident, have an increased risk of developing leukemia.



Oh, dear! What's going to happen to the people of Japan? Katsumi has loved ones there. I have loved ones there. One who is pregnant and living in Tokyo! Can a baby be born with Leukemia?



Genetic diseases. Genetic abnormalities seem to play a role in the development of leukemia. Certain genetic diseases, such as Down syndrome, are associated with increased risk of leukemia.


Certain genetic diseases? Seems like more than one to me. Where's the list? I have a genetic disease called Hereditary Multiple Exostoses


People who have been diagnosed with certain blood disorders, such as myelodysplastic syndromes, may have an increased risk of leukemia.


That's a tricky one.


Smoking cigarettes increases the risk of acute myelogenous leukemia. 

Another good reason for people to quit smoking! Did you know there are 599 chemical compounds in cigarettes?


Exposure to certain chemicals, such as benzene — which is found in gasoline and is used by the chemical industry — also is linked to increased risk of some kinds of leukemia.


That's me. Exposed the first fourteen years of my life to the toxic waste of "Love Canal" in Niagara Falls, NY. I thought having the chondrosarcoma bone cancer was a direct result of that (as well as my genetic benign bone tumors). And I was foolish, I guess to think that was the extent of the damage.

Family history of leukemia. If members of your family have been diagnosed with leukemia, your risk of the disease may be increased.


The only relative I know of that had Leukemia was a second cousin who had it in childhood many years ago. She was my mother's brother's grand daughter. That doesn't seem closely related enough.


However, most people with known risk factors don't get leukemia. And many people with leukemia have none of these risk factors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I will approve and respond as soon as possible. Thank you for posting them.

I'm sorry that Anonymous comments are no longer accepted. I've gotten too many spammers that way. If you would like to comment directly my profile provides a way to do that.